In the world of cosmetic surgery, the “mommy makeover” has become a popular option for mothers who want to address postpartum changes to multiple areas of the body with multiple procedures at once. This all-at-once approach has a couple of important benefits — namely, it reduces fees and limits recovery time. Dr. Khalil is an expert in performing mommy makeovers.
Common Post-Baby Body Changes
After the birth of your child, hormonal changes cause the abdominal area to begin to decrease in size. After six to eight weeks, the uterus contracts to pre-pregnancy size and most pregnancy fat that has built up subsides, decreasing swelling and bloating. However, some abdominal muscle changes may occur, and stretched or sagging skin may not return to its pre-pregnancy appearance.
Breast skin tissue may also stretch due to the hormonal changes of pregnancy, and breast size may change during breastmilk production.
Mothers may be joyful about their children but unhappy with postpartum physical changes such as:
- Loose or sagging abdominal skin
- Excess fat around the abdominal area
- Abdominal stretch marks
- Weakened or lax abdominal muscles
- Pockets of fat on the hips, back, buttocks or thighs
- Sagging breasts or loss of breast volume
Procedures to Address Body Changes Stemming from Pregnancy
Dr. Khalil customizes procedure combinations to address the unique body changes and needs of each mother, since pregnancy affects all women differently. Candidates for mommy makeover procedures should be within 10 pounds of their goal weight, exercise regularly and no longer be breastfeeding. Some of the common procedures for moms that are often part of mommy makeover procedures are:
- Liposuction: A procedure which permanently removes stubborn fat pockets through incision and suction and creates smoother body contours. Liposuction can be tailored to target specific areas such as the abdomen, hips, thighs, buttocks, upper back, arms, neck or chin.
- Tummy tuck: The tummy tuck or abdominoplasty addresses fat cells but also extra belly skin. It is a good option for moms who are unhappy with sagging skin because of pregnancy. Dr. Khalil makes sure that the tummy tuck incision scar is placed so that it is concealable by most swimsuit bottoms or underwear.
- Breast lift: Some mothers find they are unhappy with sagging breasts caused by changes due to pregnancy and breastfeeding. During a breast lift procedure, Dr. Khalil raises the breasts back into position and repositions the nipples for a perkier and more youthful breast appearance.
- Breast augmentation: Often, breasts enlarge during breastfeeding but shrink after breastfeeding ends and a mother’s milk dries up. Breast augmentation is one possible solution for moms who do not feel satisfied with their breast shape. Multiple sizes and breast shapes are possible. Augmentation can be combined with a breast lift or done on its own, depending on patient breast shape and concerns.
To Learn More
Mommy makeover treatments are not recommended for women who plan to have more children, as an additional pregnancy can reverse the effects of many of the procedures. To learn more about procedures to correct postpartum breast or stomach changes or mommy makeovers, please contact Dr. Khalil today.